[GemStone-Smalltalk] NetLDI connection error

James Foster smalltalk at jgfoster.net
Tue Oct 11 11:56:25 PDT 2022

Hello Ahmed,

The “Connection was refused” error means that the client was not able to establish a connection with the NetLDI server. There are two likely explanations: (1) if your remote connection is from a different machine, then there is likely a connectivity issue (see below); and, (2) if you are on the same machine then it is likely that the port on which the server is listening is different from the port on which the client is calling. This will happen if you started NetLDI with name (gs64ldi) but you do not have that entry in the `/etc/services` so while it uses the name, it picks a port at random (this happens to me almost every time I set up GemStone on a new machine!).

But as I think about it some more, there is another possible issue beyond a simple not able to connect explanation. GemStone 5.x is very old and with that version the NetLDI starts a Gem that listens for a second call from the client (more modern versions “inherit” the original connection). So, if you are on a server with a firewall and your client is remote then the client may not be able to call back to the server on a second port. There is a command-line argument for netldi (-p maybe?) that specifies which port range to be used for the callback. Make sure that those ports are open. A good way to test this is to see if you can use the RPC Topaz from the same machine. If it works with the local client but not with the remote client, then this is likely the issue.

Start NetLDI with debug (-d) on and see if you get more information.

James