[Glass] Develop Gemstone web server app in VW but deploy in Pharo?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Apr 25 11:22:56 PDT 2014

Frank,

I'll stay away from the business issues and just focus on the technical:)

I would say that the biggest technical challenge for porting your
application to Pharo/GemStone lies in what VW libraries/features you are
using.

The GLASS/Web Edition version of GemStone has been focused on Pharo
compatibility, so there is a fairly complete compatibility layer that
smooths the road for porting applications from Pharo to GemStone.

There is no similar VW compatibility layer, so you you would probably need
to either create such a layer for yourselves (or change your code base to
adapt to GemStone). Over the years I would say there has a been a fair
amount of work where GemStone application code has been written in such a
way that it can be run in VW or GemStone, but not a lot of effort has gone
into making it easy to execute VW code in GemStone...

If you are using Seaside, then there is a port of Seaside for GemStone and
that will make your life a bit easier.

The second area of challenge will be in adapting the transaction model that
you are using with your RDBMS to a GemStone-based model. I think it is
fairly common when programming against an RDBMS that you make the
assumption that you can have multiple db sessions active at once ... In
GemStone, you can have multiple concurrent db sessions open at once, but
each of the separate sessions must be in a separate VM.

So, I think it is technically feasible, but at the end of the day the
magnitude of the challenge will depend upon how tightly married you are to
the VW class library and how easy it is to translate your RDBMS code to a
GemStone-based transaction model.

Dale