[Glass] Help defining gemstone users for a multi-user app

Dale K. Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jan 6 08:34:50 PST 2014

If you are going to share code between users, then I would suggest that you start by installing the GLASS/seaside code into a SymbolList that is not UserGlobals and perhaps even use a Gemstone user that is not DataCurator.

The attached script creates a 'glass' user with the same permissions as DataCurator and loads the GLASS code (starting with a $GEMSTONE/bin/extent0.dbf) into a GLASS SymbolDictionary.

Once you've done this, you can arrange to install the glass users's #GLASS SymbolDictionary into another users SymbolList and thus share the code ... The `web` user will have to have write permission on all of the slots of the Seaside code, so it might make sense to load the seaside code into the `web` users space directory ...

I have to get ready for work right now, so the additional instructions will have to wait:)

In the meantime, though I would like to better understand the rationale for separate GemStone users ... things will be much simpler if you done have separate users, so I would think that you'd need a good reason for the extra hassle:)

A diagram of the shared and isolated data would help me understand how the code/users/data should be structured ...

Dale