[Glass] Some general questions about packages and all that

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Oct 15 11:07:06 PDT 2021

Marten,

Right now as a rule of thumb, a project that has tonel packages cannot be
loaded into GemStone, for two reasons:

   1. GsDevKit/GLASS does not support tonel format packages
   2. Projects that use tonel are written for Pharo and have to be ported
   to GsDevKit/GLASS

Tonel package support will be coming when Rowan is released as part of the
base GemStone product and it is looking like that will happen sometime late
next year ...

In the meantime, one can use the T2F2T-Conversion[1] project to convert the
package format from tonel to filetree and then port the project to
GLASS/GsDevKit. A year ago, Bruno Buzzi ported a set of tonel-based Pharo
projects for XML to GLASS/GsDevKit using T2F2T-Conversion to create
filetree packages:

   1. XML-XPath[2]
   2. XMLParser[3]
   3. XML-XMLWriter[4]
   4. BitmapCharacterSet[5]
   5. OrderPreservingDictionary[6]

If you are interested in porting a tonel-based project to GLASS/GsDevKit, I
would be willing to create GsDevKit[7] fork of the project and set up and
run the T2F2T-Conversion stuff so that you could work on porting the
filetree-based packages to GLASS/GsDevKit.

With respect to learning how to use Metacello, I suppose google is your
friend - there aren't too many google hits on Metacello that aren't related
directly to Metacello :) ...

At the dawn of Metacello I wrote a series of Metacello articles[8] on my
(gem)Stone Soup blog[9]. Mariano Martinez Peck and I gave a talk at the
2010 ESUG (slides[12], video[10]. Stéphane Ducasse and Mariano Martinez
Peck wrote a chapter on "Managing Projects with Metacello"[11]. There's a
Metacello google project[13] that might have useful links.

The above links should give you good information about Metacello
ConfigurationOf and a most of the constructs used in a ConfigurationOf are
carried over into a BaselineOf, so it is worth understanding the basic
ConfigurationOf,  however, he ConfigurationOf was designed to be used with
the Monticello repositories. The BaselineOf is designed to be used with
filetree packages, github and git repositories and "Getting Started with
GitHib"[14] is good place to learn about the BaselineOf.

The majority of projects have pretty simple baselines and there are plenty
of baseline examples to be found, but here is an example of a very simple
baseline[15].

If you have any specific questions, just ask on this list and since most of
the community is familiar with Metacello, they'll be able to help you ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/T2F2T-Conversion
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XPath
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XMLParser
[4] https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XMLWriter
[5] https://github.com/GsDevKit/BitmapCharacterSet
[6] https://github.com/GsDevKit/OrderPreservingDictionary
[7] https://github.com/GsDevKit
[8] https://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/?s=metacello
[9] https://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/
[10] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWHS5xIo_xI
[11]
https://eng.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Computer_Science/Programming_Languages/Book%3A_Deep_into_Pharo_(Bergel_Cassou_Ducasse_and_Laval)/08%3A_Managing_Projects_with_Metacello
[12] https://www.slideshare.net/esug/metacello-esug2010
[13] https://code.google.com/archive/p/metacello/
[14]
https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/GettingStartedWithGitHub.md#create-baseline
[15]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/BitmapCharacterSet/blob/gemstone/filetree/BaselineOfBitmapCharacterSet.package/BaselineOfBitmapCharacterSet.class/instance/baseline..st

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 3:18 AM Marten Feldtmann via Glass <