[Glass] protect temporary files

Norm Green norm.green at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jun 2 09:04:03 PDT 2023

Hi Otto,

There is file locking protocol in GsFile under category #locking. There
are several caveats and restrictions so be sure to read the methods
carefully. Also note that file locking over NFS is buggy and should not
be relied upon. If your zip files are on NFS you could create a local
(not on NFS) 1 byte file with a known name in a known location and lock
it when the zip file is in use.

There are other ways to do this as well as James says. For example, you
could also use a shared counter (in class System) as your lock bit and
use a KeyValueDictionary to map the file name to the shared counter ID.

Norm Green