[GemStone-Smalltalk] VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Martin McClure via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Dec 11 14:01:27 PST 2014

On 12/11/2014 09:35 AM, via GemStone-Smalltalk wrote:
> Richard,
> We use VW as the Seaside server, with no domain code, so we don't care
> about the UI changes.
> Here is what we're interested in is... (as copied from their web site)
>
>   * Text2 and SourceCode Editor 2 - anything would be better than the
>     current editor
>   * Major improvements to WSDL 2.0 / SOAP 1.2 to handle updated
>     protocols - we're looking at a number of third party integrations
>     using web services; the less hassle with that the better
>   * Store II improvements from Foundation - Store is painfully slow for
>     us; we're hoping this helps
>   * Comparison Tool and Merge Engine
>   * Garbage Collection Performance Improvements

Hi Bob,

This is an odd list. I did find the page where most of these were listed
as VW 8.0 enhancements. However, many of them do not show up in the 8.0
release notes.

Text2 and the SourceCode Editor 2 are definitely new in 8.0. Most of the
rest appear to be from a post in 2010 about VW 7.7.1:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/2010/08/internationalization-project-manager/

except the GC performance work, which was done primarily in VW7.8.

So some wires are crossed somewhere. Maybe they're my wires, and if
you've got better information I'd love to hear it, but right now it
seems that if you're running VW7.10.1, you've got most of your list
already, and are fully supported from a GBS standpoint.

That said, if you want to try out VW8.0 we want to help you do that. If
you're willing to test out some pre-alpha GBS versions, we expect to
have something that works with VW8.0 in early 2015, and if you open an
HR with support and request the that, we'll get it to you as soon as
it's ready.

Regards,

-Martin