[GemStone-Smalltalk] #asInteger truncates instead of rounding

Kevin Szabo k.s.szabo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 14:59:41 PST 2014

My opinion is that this method should not be changed.

The method #asInteger has truncated forever, and I expect there are many
objects and much undocumented legacy code that rely on this.  I looked at
my Object Reference from ParcPlace Digitalk (Rev 1.1, 1995) and the
documentation for Number>>#asInteger states "Discard any fractional part."
so this behaviour is at least 18 years old.

I did look at Stephane's scanned version of the Blue Book to see if this
behaviour existed since the epoch, but the protocol on number was
#truncated and #rounded (
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/BlueBook/Bluebook.pdf) so
#asInteger is younger than 33 years.

Cheers,