[GemStone-Smalltalk] large blobs

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Jun 17 14:28:59 PDT 2014

Hi John,

While GemStone/S is a database, there is some overhead in storing data in it as compared to the file system. In general, if you are dealing with large, static blobs, then I’d suggest that they be kept outside the database and referenced from some internal object. The internal representation can have a path and if you want to represent chunks of the file, you can have an object that has not just a path but a begin and end offset. Of course, if you want, you can just store a ByteArray in GemStone/S and everything would work fine.

James