[GemStone-Smalltalk] opaque Gemstone Interpret 2021 error

combi combicombi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 12:31:17 PST 2014

I'm getting this error when a user attempts to log into a Seaside
application. This webapp otherwise works fine on my local Pharo install, and
until recently on Gemstone as well. No stack trace or Object Log entry or
anything in Gemstone's various fastcgi logs that's helpful.

InterpreterError 2021: A reference into the dictionary <aSessionTemps(
#'WA_SERVER_MANAGER_DEFAULT'->aWAServerManager,
#'SystemChangeNotifier_UniqueInstance'->aSystemChangeNotifier,
#'GsPackage_TransactionBoundary_Dict'->aSessionTemps(
#'SessionMethodChange'->2125, #'ClassChange'->7074),
#'Monticello-Dependents'->aDictionary( aJ2ModelVendor->anArray(
aJ2ModelUser), aJ2ModelFacility->anArray( aJ2ModelUser)),
#'GRGemStoneRandomProvider_MUTEX'->aTransientMutex,
#'GRGemStoneRandomProvider_GENERATOR'->aTransientRandom,
#'Monticello-Transients'->aDictionary( #the Object logs.thing in
'UUID_DEFUALT'->anUUIDGenerator),
#'TransientValue'->anIdentityKeyValueDictionary( aTransientValue->nil,
aTransientValue->nil, aTransientValue->nil, aTransientValue->nil,
aTransientValue->nil, aTransientValue->nil, ...), ...)> using the
non-existent key <#'browse'> was made.

The details of what the session temps dictionary contains change after I
restarted the seaside gems, but it's always the non-existent "browse" key
error that turns up. Here's another listing:

InterpreterError 2021: A reference into the dictionary <aSessionTemps(
#'WA_SERVER_MANAGER_DEFAULT'->aWAServerManager,
#'SystemChangeNotifier_UniqueInstance'->aSystemChangeNotifier,
#'GsPackage_TransactionBoundary_Dict'->aSessionTemps(
#'SessionMethodChange'->2125, #'ClassChange'->7074),
#'Monticello-Dependents'->aDictionary( ),
#'GRGemStoneRandomProvider_GENERATOR'->aTransientRandom,
#'Monticello-Transients'->aDictionary( #'UUID_DEFUALT'->anUUIDGenerator),
#'TransientValue'->anIdentityKeyValueDictionary( aTransientValue->nil,
aTransientValue->GsProcess(oop=715001857, status=waiting on a socket read
event, priority=15, group=1, ProcessorScheduler | _switchFrom:to: @2 line 6
ProcessorScheduler | _reschedule @10 line 15 ProcessorScheduler |
_waitUntil:timeout:type: @10 line 14 ProcessorScheduler |
_waitUntilReadable:timeout: @2 line 8 GsSocket | readWillNotBlockWithin: @10
line 25 GsSocket | listen:acceptingWith: @9 line 22 GsSocket | accept @4
line 13 [] in FSGsSocketServer | accept:onError: @3 line 6 ExceptionHandler
| doTryBlock: @9 line 7 ExceptionHandler | try:on:do: @15 line 18 [] in
ExecutableBlock | on:do: @2 line 8 FSGsSocketServer | accept:onError: @4
line 7 FSGsSocketServer (FSSocketServer) | listen: @5 line 7 [] in
FSGsSocketServer | startInForeground @7 line 9 [] in ExecutableBlock |
ensure: @4 line 11 [] in ExecutableBlock | ensure: @6 line 11
FSGsSocketServer | startInForeground @12 line 12 WAFastCGIAdaptor |
basicStart @3 line 3 [] in WAServerManager | start: @5 line 3 [] in
ExecutableBlock | ifCurtailed: @4 line 6 [] in ExecutableBlock | ensure: @4
line 11 [] in ExecutableBlock | ensure: @6 line 11 [] in ExecutableBlock |
ifCurtailed: @8 line 8 WAServerManager | start: @8 line 4 WAFastCGIAdaptor
(WAServerAdaptor) | start @2 line 2 WAFastCGIAdaptor class (WAServerAdaptor
class) | startOn: @8 line 10 WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems | startOn: @2 line 3
WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems class | startGemServerOn: @6 line 9 Executed Code
@24 line 29 ), ...), ...)> using the non-existent key <#'browse'> was made.

Any clues, anyone? I'm suspecting this has something to do with class
migration. Speaking of, is their a definitive script available for migrating
new deploys of Seaside apps on Gemstone/s? I've just been recompiling my
app's package, and sometimes clearing and resetting the root class of my app
in the /config web app. (I'm aware of the general instructions in the
Gemstone/S programming guide, but haven't read it yet. Yes, I'm sure a great
idea! )

-Combi