[GemStone-Smalltalk] [GBS] How often does this error affect you?

Richard Sargent richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com
Wed May 14 10:10:14 PDT 2014

Dennis smith-4 wrote
> If I understand correctly, the problem occurs if the old class is
> connected to the class on the client side?
> Then migrate generates an error?
>
> We have a tool UI with a migrate button which logs out and in THEN does
> the migrate.

Yes. However, it isn't migration, per se, that generates the error. It is
replication afterward.

As for using the tool and technique you describe, Dennis, it seems that the
scenario still can arise. If anyone else is using the database and has a
class connected to the 'original' server class version, he will get a
replication error any time after he refreshes his view of the database and
replicates an instance of the class.

I realize that this problem really is a development issue, not a production
issue. (At least, in general. In my philosophy, modifying a server class in
a live production environment is something to be avoided.) As it only
affects development, I can understand just living with it as an error which
is fairly easily worked around.