[GemStone-Smalltalk] first: / last:

Richard Sargent via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Sep 18 08:58:05 PDT 2014

Gemstone/S mailing list wrote
> The implementation of #first: and #last: in GemStone is very different
> from VW, Pharo and VA.
>
> On GS the methods set the first or last value, in other dialects they
> answer a copy with the first or last indexed values.

> Any plans for this to change?

In general, no. We try to avoid breaking applications that are working for
our customers by avoiding changes in APIs.

Personally, I would like to change things to make GemStone more compatible
with other dialects, but as indicated, there are cases where we would create
problems we don't want.

I have issues with the concepts behind #first, #first:, #last, and #last:,
especially when compared to other API methods. In some respects, the
GemStone implementation is more consistent. I think #copyFrist: and
#copyLast: would be better and more accurate names for the functions and
would avoid the semantic imprecision associated with #first: and #last:.

Richard