[GemStone-Smalltalk] Logsender dies - how would one monitor and restart it?

Pieter Nagel via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jan 26 05:15:59 PST 2015

On the topic of running a logsender and logreceiver under Unix process
supervisors such as Daemontools:

It seems that startlogsender is just a thin wrapper that forks, background
itself, and then executes $GEMSTONE/bin/gem logsender with the remaining
command-line arguments.

That kind of backgrounding is problematic when running under process
supervisors, since they tend to assume that the service they manage has
died and needs restarting when the process they spawned quits.

One way around that is just to run "$GEMSTONE/bin/gem logsender ..."
directly under the process supervisor, but that would be an undocumented
usage of GemStone binaries.

Am I correct in my understanding that this is all startlogsender does, or
is there crucial logic that is sidestepped when running "$GEMSTONE/bin/gem
logsender ..." directly?

All my questions apply in the same way to startlogreceiver as well.