[GemStone-Smalltalk] GBS for VA Smalltalk debugging

Richard Sargent via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Jun 10 09:35:50 PDT 2015

Gemstone/S mailing list wrote
> The functions in our StsDebugger subclass SaraDebugger:
> - "Open in Organizer" on the variables menu.
> - "Reconnect to server" on the stack menu (we've had network issues which
> would terminate server connection every now and then).
> - "Inspect this debugger" on the file menu.
> - #gbxExecuteOnBehalfOfSelectedProcess: is overridden to handle our own
> application semaphore in addition to GBS semaphores.
> - Modifications to auto-frame-selection (I'm not sure about the details
> here).
> - Handling GbxMethod a few places (sending #gbxSelector instead of
> #selector).

Please share these with me, if you would.

> - Image details in the debugger title.
>
> Thanks for raising the "through" and "to cursor" issues with
> Instantiations. Hope to see a fix in coming releases. It could really
> speed up the debugging process.

It requires a fix in both VA and in GBS. The VA fix is a prerequisite. I'll
see about back-porting my 5.4.3 changes into 5.3.2. I suggest you open an HR
requesting fixes for the specific items you want.

> I've created an example for the differences in the "over" function in VAST
> and in GemStone debugging. Screen shots and sample code is included in the
> enclosed Word document. It also shows differences in source code
> selection, and problems with stack frame context ("over" stepping into
> Collection>>#do: implementation and "^aValue" returning to client code).

Thanks!

> Working with this example, another couple of issues was brought to my mind
> again:
> - When the selected frame is block execution (ex: "[] in
> GemStoneDebuggingExample1..."), "self" is the block. In the client, self
> is the instance that the source code in the block refers to, and that
> makes debugging easier. Often, you'll have another stack frame with the
> appropriate "self", but it makes debugging less efficient.

This comes from the server. I suggest you check how the latest 2.4 release
works in this respect. It's 2.4.6 (you said you were on 2.4.3). If it is
still wrong in 2.4.6, I suggest you report it in an HR.
(And I have to ask: What are your plans for moving to 3.x?)

> - There seems to be a refresh issue with the "self" variable on GemStone.
> Every now and then, we'll get the wrong "self" when inspecting self in the
> variables pane. It can be fixed by selecting the stack frame over again,
> and then inspecting "self" over again.

I've seen things like this. I'm not sure I can address them. I *think* the
issue arises from the fact that the VA debugger is designed to be
synchronous, but getting information from the server is not. Scintilla
really highlights this aspect.

> I'm unable to see any pattern in when we receive the " you cannot set
> breakpoints in executed code" error message, but it happens occasionally
> when trying to set breakpoints in normal GemStone methods. I think it's
> usually solved by opening another GemStone code browser. It happened over
> and over again yesterday, but not today :-)

The message is displayed from GbxToolWindow>>#setBreak. I suspect the
browser's model is not a Method Holder. (And someone decided that all
objects should respond to #selector!) I suggest you add a breakpoint in this
method to find out what the model is when the message would come up.