[GemStone-Smalltalk] Starting a repository fails after shutdown of server.

brianstone via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Oct 2 07:44:35 PDT 2017

Hi James,

I finally found the problem.

There was missing a line in the hosts file.

I was looking at this part on the pcmon.log

*created listening socket for localhost6 on ::1 port 41793
synthesizing   127.0.0.1 , attempting listen on IPv4 localhost
created listening socket for localhost on ::ffff:127.0.0.1 port 41793*

Since I'm not an expert on this, I found strange that there is created a
socket in localhost6 and one in localhost (as I understand IPV4).

So, after a while googling, I noticed that in general, other hosts files in
Linux systems, have this line:
*::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
localhost6.localdomain6*

So, I added that line to my host file and then Gemstone started succesfully
:-)

The reason of this behavior seems to be the fact that now I don't have a DNS
in the new network of the server or something like that.

You are free to add any comment you consider relevant,

Thanks you for all your help James,

Ezequiel

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Gemstone-S-f1461796.html