[GemStone-Smalltalk] Opening class browser in GS64/VW 8.3 causes image to exhaust all memory and hang

Gary Morrison gcmfrompsu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:31:31 PST 2019

Hi,
I'm having a problem using the Community Edition of VW 8.3 when connected
to Community Edition of GS64 version 3.4.3 on Linux.

After I log using an RPC session I am able to do the following:
- commit, abort, begin
- browse the following: security policies, symbol lists, users, connectors,
breakpoints, implementors of a method.  As soon as I try to open the System
Browser, the image quickly runs out of memory and hangs.

I tried adjusting some settings but nothing appears to help.

If is frustrating because there are no error messages.  I suspect there is
some internal error with GBS but it does not indicate a problem as it
gobbles up 500 MB of memory.

Please let me know if there is a way to debug what GBS is doing by
allocating over 500 MB of memory just to show the class names which appear
in the class browser
of the base system.  No application classes have been loaded yet.

Thanks,
Gary