[GemStone-Smalltalk] GemStone in docker container

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Tue Nov 5 14:35:34 PST 2019

Hi David,

Nice to see some work on GemStone in Docker!

See below…

> On Nov 5, 2019, at 1:03 PM, David Shaffer via GemStone-Smalltalk <gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I’m recently making my way back to GemStone after many years away.   As James Foster has suggested, it wasn’t difficult to get GemStone working in docker but I thought I’d provide a resource for people who are interested:
>
> https://github.com/cdavidshaffer/gemstone-docker <https://github.com/cdavidshaffer/gemstone-docker>
>
> So far I find it quite nice to have a “GemStone” appliance.  I’d like to put the gemstone docker image on docker hub but I’ll need to confer with GemTalk first.

While I’m happy to discuss any specific concerns privately, I’ll say that you may redistribute GemStone subject to the following conditions:
you don’t include any keyfile other than the “Starter Edition” keyfile that ships with the distribution (don’t distribute your keyfile);
you specify that use is subject to the License Agreement found at https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/pub/GemStone_License_Agreement.pdf <https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/pub/GemStone_License_Agreement.pdf>; and
you state clearly that this is not an official GemTalk Systems LLC release, but your independent repackaging.
Beyond that, we welcome efforts to make GemStone easier to deploy. Does that seem reasonable?

James Foster
VP of Finance and Operations
GemTalk Systems LLC
+1 503 766 4714