[GemStone-Smalltalk] Understanding secure backups

Norm Green norm.green at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Sep 3 23:53:53 PDT 2019

The certificates contain public keys, so the public keys come from
there.  We do not validate the certificates, so there is no CA cert file
used here.

The signing key is a private key and can be RSA or DSA in the latest
versions GemStone (initially it had to be RSA).

It works like this:

 1. Generate a random encryption key (symmetric)
 2. For each certificate provided, use the cert to encrypt the
    encryption key and store the encrypted form in the backup file.
 3. Write the backup file, encrypting each backup record using the
    encryption key
 4. When finished, generate a hash of the backup and store it in the
    backup file.
 5. Finally, use the signing key (RSA or DSA private key) to sign the
    hash and store it in the backup file.

To restore the backup, you need a private key that matches one of the
certs used to create the backup.  You also need the cert (public key)
that matches the signing key to validate the backup has not been
tampered with.

Hope this helps.

Norm Green