[GemStone-Smalltalk] Fw: Canonicalization + 2 Spaces

Paul Baumann plbaumann at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 09:13:45 PDT 2020

Hi Keith,

Nice to hear from you.

I had also implemented Date instance canonicalization much as you
described. It was a big improvement for the project at the time because our
application model had previously replicated many dates into GBS caches.

Didn't gemtalk make Date instances immediate objects since maybe around GS
3.0? For DateTime replication tuning the storage of integers was better
than canonical instances but required consistent use of conversion
accessors. Application code in GS could potentially consume many oops for
the transient DateTime instances that might get created but in practice
that was not a problem where tuned this way. Having DateTime instances as
immediates would reduce the chance that the accessor trick wouldn't be most
efficient for some application usage scenarios in gem.

Oh, speaking of replication tuning, one of the big improvements I achieved
was through self generating custom replication specs. In tuning mode the
replication was one level deep (except some collections) and stubs that got
faulted for a declared context/replication would get recorded into
contextual replication specs. It was an iterative tuning process but the
result was that replication would include no more than was needed and had
only deliberate stub faulting later. Avoiding growth of GBS caches had
become mission critical, and this achieved it until application code could
be reimplemented to run in gems alone. The loss of efficient copy
replication had made this necessary, but it was also used tune VW+GBS
applications to consistently offer near instant response times.

Looking back, one of the biggest problems with smalltalk in general was
that people could too easily write inefficient code. For me it became a
full time job cleaning and tuning code that got produced at a fast rate for
releases. At least the riggors of C coding brought attention to efficiency
from the start. I'm happy to be retired now.

Paul Baumann