[GemStone-Smalltalk] Production only code

Paul Baumann plbaumann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 08:10:56 PDT 2021

A common approach is to have developers work on a recent backup of prod and
never directly in prod. All code changes should be scripted to be reapplied
reliably. Restores to test environments and development can run scripts to
remove or scramble any sensitive data. Code must be able to test whether it
is running in prod or not so that the same code is applied. Of course,
doing this means you aren't always testing exactly what would be deployed
to prod. The way to compensate for that is to have stages of test
environments that get closer to actual prod as the release approaches. In
general, you attempt to limit access to 'need to know' and still scramble
as much of that as practical. Development environments usually have the
most sensitive information removed.

You could use permissions to limit data access but I've never seen a
project do that and that approach seems like it could release bugs into
prod. Segmentation of the data (for permissions) can have performance
surprises also.