[GemStone-Smalltalk] Bug?

David Shaffer shaffer at shaffer-consulting.com
Sat Mar 20 12:13:52 PDT 2021

Hey folks,

I’m a bit stuck on this one…I’m using VW9, GS3.5.4, Gbs8.5, in case it matters.  For testing purposes I have two Dictionaries in my symbol list: #GcbNSA and #GcbNSB each with a class called ConflictingName.  On the VW side I have the same setup but with Namespaces.  I create two class connectors:

#{GbsClassConnector} value
		stName: ’GcbNSA.ConflictingName'
		gsName: #ConflictingName
		dictionaryName: #GcbNSA

#{GbsClassConnector} value
		stName: ’GcbNSB.ConflictingName'
		gsName: #ConflictingName
		dictionaryName: #GcbNSB

But GemStone discards one of them with this error:

GbsClassConnector stName: #'GcbNSA.ConflictingName' gsName: #ConflictingName
          - GbsClassConnector stName: #'GcbNSA.ConflictingName' gsName: #ConflictingName
          is overriding an existing connection.
GbsClassConnector stName: 'ConflictingName' gsName: #ConflictingName - GbsClassConnector
          stName: 'ConflictingName' gsName: #ConflictingName is overriding an existing
          connection.

I don’t understand this at all.  While the “gsName” of the two connectors is the same, the dictionaryName is different so they shouldn’t conflict.  Has anyone encountered this?  Or have any suggestions?

Basically this makes it impossible to map VW Namespaces to GS Dictionaries…which I was hoping to do as I make extensive use of “conflicting" class names in VW.  I’m left with creating GS class names by mangling all of the VW class names to include namespace info.  Not a path I hopped to go down...

-D