[GemStone-Smalltalk] DevKit_home

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Jun 18 09:27:47 PDT 2024

Gary,

GsDevKit_home is no longer supported on later versions of GemStone as well
as Ubuntu versions greater than 18.04 ... The central  piece of
GsDevKit_homes is a 32 bit pharo vm whose days are numbered ...

GsDevKit_stones is the intended successor. GsDevKit_stones uses .solo and
.stone scripts (written on top of topaz ). The supporting smalltalk code
for GsDevKit_stones is a Rowan project (using filetree format) .. so the
common code can be shared by all of the scripts....

GsDevKit_stones supports a flexible directory structure so you have the
opportunity so easily customize the structure.

GsDevKit_stones currently has perhaps 80% of the functionality of
GsDevKit_home ... the main piece that is missing is the upgradeSeaside
script and a way to attach GsDevKit_stones to an existing GsDevKit_homes
structure. Also the documentation could use more work ... although if
you've been using GsDevKit_homes, the commands involved are very similar ...

I have not had the cycles to completely finish GsDev_stones, but there are
a several developers using GsDevKit_stones and they are on the glass
list[2], so that will be a good place to ask for additional help if
needed...

I intend to (eventually) get back to GsDevKit_stones but I'm not able to
forecast when that will be ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_stones/tree/v2