[Glass] Fwd: GLASS performance & cleanup scripts

leodm leo at smalltalking.net
Wed Dec 4 07:37:09 PST 2013

James,

I'm back :)

I have made some test based on your post...

>Welcome to GemStone.
Thnks! I'm happy I can finally try it.

>First, as to configuring the Shared Page Cache (SCP), the rule is simple:
>get the most that you can afford (up to slightly more than the repository
>size). With the free license the maximum size is 2 GB, but that should be
>pretty good for your database.
OK, so I change (in testing) the /etc/sysctl.conf file like this according
to 2GB free license limit
kernel.shmmax = 1610612736
kernel.shmall = 393216

I assume I must not change SHR_PAGE_CACHE_SIZE_KB parameter because is the
extent page chache size, actually is 128000

>The free license does not have a limit on the database size, so you can
>keep growing.
Perfect.

>The #'fullBackupCompressedTo' method does an object-by-object backup that
>is not identical to the extent0.dbf file in layout (it has all the objects,
>but is typically more compact since the extents can have free space). The
>alternative is to suspend checkpoints, copy the extent(s), and resume
>checkpoints. That will give you an extent backup that can be used directly
>as a repository. Unless you have reason to prefer the extent-file-copy
>approach, I suggest you stick with the existing backup (and practice a
>restore occasionally).
Ok, I prefer the object-by-object backup approach.
One question: When I make a #fullBackupCompressedTo, I can restore with the
Gemstools "restore w/o tranlog" option? Or how can I make a restore from a
compress database (I prefer the command line, but any help is ok)

>Often one will choose to start a new transaction log just before taking a
>backup. Then you don't have to wonder which transaction logs are needed to
>go with a particular backup. I have seen scripts that delete transaction
>logs that are older than the oldest backup that you would use for disaster
>recovery (and you typically keep at least two backups).
Ok, thats great. If I make a good backup I have no worry about tranlogs.

>Strategies for making reports faster typically involve indexes and/or
>clustering. You can read about them in the programming guide.
Ok, I began reading about it. So next I'm going to check is this.

>Keep asking questions and let us help you get the system running smoothly.
>Of course, at some point I might suggest you pay for consulting and/or a
>license to have a larger Shared Page Cache. ;-)
Yes of course! I assume that's the reason I'm not gain more performance with
more RAM (maybe the only thing is with a SSD disk).
I think is more convenient to pay for consulting here, because is more
bourocratic to get money for licenses... I'm going to send you a private
email for this.

Thnks!
Leo