[Glass] Remote session allowed in Glass?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 06:22:00 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> ------------------------------

OK...  I was so naive... I thought GemStone could move the objects over the
wire automatically. Why I thought that? Because if you have a remote node
where you have other gems running and a share page cache etc...you move
things over the wire to the stone node... but ... maybe at this point the
swapping unit is pages, not objects graphs...

If the communication is GemStone-GemStone, cannot I use Passivator (I don't
remember the exact name)?

> In theory you could use the GCI traversal buffers to give you more
> efficient transmission of object graphs over the wire, but lots more
> complication at the client level in managing the objects. You have to keep
> track of the oops of the objects from the foreign stone, so things can get
> complicated pretty fast ...
>
> In general this largely unexplored territory, so unless you really need to
> go this route I'd look real closely at other options ...

OK.

> Finally, are both actions available under GLASS?
>

> The tODE-style "object sharing" is available in GLASS. The GCI traversal
> buffers are not available under the GLASS license.

Ok...so..just to confirm...GLASS license allows me to take GemStone A and
communicate with GemStone B, but it is my task to know how to pass the
objects over the wire. Right?