[Glass] Differences between Symbol/String #= in Pharo and GemStone

Sebastian Heidbrink sebastian_heidbrink at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 8 22:50:22 PST 2013

I had the same problem during my first steps.

Here is what Dale wrote me at that time:

" This is another case where code has to change ... Pharo does not
conform to the ANSI standard for String and Symbol comparison (and
GemStone does conform).

In Pharo Strings and Symbols can be used interchangeably and that wreaks
havoc for GemStone ... "

He also mentioned that the "usual" Dictionary is usually performant
enough and Strings for comparison are save under Gemstone.

Sebastian