[Glass] Processing large text files / statmonitor tips

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 11:32:37 PST 2013

Hi guys,

I am doing a quick bench to see how GemStone behaves for some use-cases I
have in which lots of large csv (or similar text based) files are read and
processed. Notice that so far this read is NOT a bulk load (I am not
persisting this data in GemStone..I am just processing it).

I am trying to see how can I make it a bit faster (I am sure I can make
it).
So...first question...is there anything I could do in FileStream and
friends that could have a big impact in the performance of reading text
files?

I used ProfMonitor to see which places of my code were the bottleneck, and
of course, the files reading is most of it. So I wonder if there is
anything I could do in the Gem or Stone configuration parameters?

Finally, I run statmonitor and I have the vsd file. But since I don't know
much so far, I wanted to ask if there were some key statistics I should
look at for my usecase.

Thanks a lot in advance,