[Glass] Processing large text files / statmonitor tips

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 09:51:47 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM, itlists at schrievkrom.de <
itlists at schrievkrom.de> wrote:

> Am 10.12.2013 05:25, schrieb Hernán Morales Durand:
> > El 09/12/2013 16:32, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I am doing a quick bench to see how GemStone behaves for some use-cases
> >> I have in which lots of large csv (or similar text based) files are read
> >> and processed. Notice that so far this read is NOT a bulk load (I am not
> >> persisting this data in GemStone..I am just processing it).
> >>

> I had the same problems - originally I used a class FilePortability (or
> something like this), but now I switched to GsFile, which seems to be
> much faster.

Wow...this was a good tip. I was also using FileStream through my
compatibility layer.
I have just tried by using something like:

GsFile openReadOnServer: aFilename

And that was 20% faster than

FileStream fileNamed:  aFilename

So cool. My API usage of the stream is quite small so I can use GsFile
polimorphically with FileStream.

Thanks,