[Glass] CharacterCollection #asNumber

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 19:10:36 PST 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> GemStone does not have a "native asNumber" for
> CharacterCollection...however, there are primitive calls that can be 20
> times faster than asNumber, but you have to know ahead of time whether or
> not the string you pass is an Integer or  a Float ... take a look at
> implementors of #fromString: ...

Exactly!!! I noticed exactly that...that most classes had a fromString:
which ended up in a primitive. So yes, I imagined that would be way faster.
Right now I am "guessing" the type doing some simple parser. But for some
files I do know the expected time for each column. So for those cases I
will try to use these optimized #fromString:

Thanks Dale