[Glass] Purge tranlogs?

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Dec 20 13:40:04 PST 2013

>> I wonder the side effects of removing the obsolete translogs. I guess not that much but I am not 100% clear of what that means exactly. Need to read more about it.
>>
> I talked to James in Edinburgh about this and the conclusion is that there is a chance this goes wrong but the odds are very low. If you want to be save I think you need to do an explicit snapshot before invoking the script. James can tell it how it is exactly.
>
> Norbert

The basic idea is that to do a full restore to the current point you need all the tranlogs that go with whatever backup you have to start the restore. A typical model is to do daily backups and keep two backups and the tranlogs starting from the earlier backup. Beyond that I tend to keep a weekly backup for a month, monthly backups for a quarter, quarterly backups for a year, and then yearly backups. You can’t restore to the current point with these (since you wouldn’t have the tranlogs), but it is occasionally interesting to go back and see something.

See the System Admin Guide (http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.1.x/GS64-SysAdminGuide-3.1.pdf) and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTRQhUQqCcc.

James