[Glass] Purge tranlogs?

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri Dec 20 15:07:35 PST 2013

May I assume you start a new tranlog every two hours before copying them to a new machine. I personally wouldn’t transfer a file that is still being written even if there is no random access regarding file position.

Furthermore what probably isn’t clear by now. A fullbackup as the name says contains everything you need. Having the tranlogs just closes the gap between backup time and now, right?

So I’m a little bit lazy. I have arranged schedules via cron. 30 minutes to midnight I start the cleanup handler for my business model. This removes old and obsolete stuff (producing dead objects). 5 minutes later I start an MFC and let that settle for 15 minutes because it is just marking and after that the gc thread kicks in removing the objects for real (removing dead objects). Then I start a full backup of the stone and compress it. A little while later the backup process comes visiting, collects the backups, encrypts and transfers them to a backup machine of the provider. That’s all. Imperfect but fine for me :)

Norbert