[Glass] loading seaside and zinc

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Thu Nov 14 22:34:06 PST 2013

> Instructions for installing Zinc on Gemstone are on github: https://github.com/glassdb/zinc

Thanks, yes. But, firstly, we work from a cloned repository, which we
submodule under our main repo. This is because we like to pin the
version that works and upgrade explicitly when we need to. We do a lot
of deploys / loads in a day and doing it via github every time is
expensive and not reliable. We are busy with an upgrade from GS 2 to
GS 3, which makes it a bit more complicated because we have to use the
correct branch. This is cool, we'll do it.

Secondly, we are trying to use Metacello to specify all our
dependencies in one place. We have a configuration to load all the
packages we use (from a local git repo) and one for all our own code.
Currently, the glass, seaside and whatever packages is a mix of git
repos and mcz files. We can change to the
BaselineOf<OurInfrastructure> model, but this is not going to change
much, I think.

I still think that using ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents in
BaselineOfSeaside30 could be a problem. We must find a way to use the
"spec baseline: 'Zinc' with: ..." approach in BaselineOfSeaside30. Or
am I missing it here?

I have to dig a bit more in the Metacello scripting api and more
recent stuff as I've been out of the loop a bit, so take my comments
with a pinch of salt.

I could be making our lives unnecessarily difficult here, so if you
spot where I'm missing it, please let me know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Otto