[Glass] loading glass questions

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Fri Nov 15 03:27:08 PST 2013

Hi,

I'm loading GLASS (cloned from github.com/glassdb/glass) starting with
extent0.seaside.dbf in GS 2.4.4.4. thirdPartyMonticelloRepository is a
variable pointing to a local directory repository containing mcz's.
Does this approach make sense?

I start with updating metacello:
    Gofer it
        repository: thirdPartyMonticelloRepository;
        package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfGsMisc';     "If I don't do this,
        load.

and then (in short):

   project := ConfigurationOfMetacello project.
   version := (project version: '1.0-beta.32')
        repositoryOverrides: {thirdPartyMonticelloRepository};
        load

then load glass:

   Metacello new
      baseline: 'GLASS1';
      repository: 'filetree://<local clone of
github.com/glassdb/glass>/repository';
      onUpgrade: [ :ex :existing :new | <print stuff>. ex allow ];
      onDowngrade: [ :ex :existing :new | <print ! Blocking
downgrade>. ex disallow ];
      load

Some questions.

1. During this load, I get a lot of downgrade attempts. For example:
"! Blocking downgrade Gofer 1.0.5.1 -> Gofer 1.0.2". Why this? We're
trying to load from a filetree.
2. I get "redirecting to
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/announcements/Announcements.g-dkh.15.mcz",
for example. If I look in the filetree repo, Announcements.g is on
version dkh.16. So why try to load dkh.15?

I suspect this is because we have a ConfigurationOf and BaselineOf mix
that does not work together. Is there a way to override the versioning
in a ConfigurationOf class?

Thanks
Otto