[Glass] Encryption in GemStone

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 05:20:19 PST 2013

>> I notice there is an implementation of Blowfish in the squeak/pharo
>> version. Is this the one you are using?
>>

> Yes. Maybe (if it is just the Smalltalk part) it is not difficult to port.
> What I am not sure is that sometimes these algorithms assumes the size of
> the world (32 bits or 64 bits)... so that would be a difference between
> Pharo and GemStone.
> I will see if I can make it work.

Well, it seems to work for my small test.
I needed to add #unsignedLongAt: index bigEndian: aBool  to ByteArray to my
compatibility layer.
Then I modified #decryptString: aString with: aKey   and  #decryptToString:
someData with: aKey
to do a

^ decryptedData asByteArray asString.

instead of

^String fromByteArray:  decryptedData asByteArray .

Because GemStone String does not implement  #fromByteArray:  and to avoid
another extension method...

Paul, shall I commit this change to the Pharo version since in Pharo
#fromByteArray: ends up doing the same?

Thanks,