[Glass] Encryption in GemStone

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 07:29:27 PST 2013

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote

> Paul, shall I commit this change to the Pharo version since in Pharo
> #fromByteArray: ends up doing the same?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Mariano,

Yes I think you should commit your version to the smalltalkhub repo.   I
originally wrote it to eventually have a Smalltalk bcrypt implementation.  I
stopped work on the Smalltalk bcrypt version (& Blowfish) when I could
determine that my version was going to be about 5000x slower than the C
version you could access through FFI.  As we've discussed the Blowfish
implementation works on Pharo for 8 byte chunks only.  I'd need to implement
cipher block chaining [0] to have it work for longer strings

For one-way hashes be aware that SecureHashAlgorithm implements SHA-1 which
has been shown to be vulnerable to attack [1] since 2005.  In the
Cryptography repo on GemSource [2] there is the PasswordHashingFFI which on
linux at least gives you access to bcrypt and the more modern one way SHA
algorithms in the crypt(3) library. For bcrypt you'll need a 64 bit version
of libxcrypt installed for GemStone

Thanks for keeping up on this

Paul

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipher_block_chaining