[Glass] Encryption in GemStone

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 08:52:46 PST 2013

>> As we've discussed the Blowfish
>> implementation works on Pharo for 8 byte chunks only.  I'd need to
>> implement
>> cipher block chaining [0] to have it work for longer strings
>>

> Yes, I know :(  if you have a string bigger than 8 characters the rest
> remains unencrypted :(

Paul, may I ask if at least you could encrypt multiple chunks of 8 chars?
For example:

| enc encryptedString key decrString |
key:='mySecretKey'.
enc:=Blowfish encryptString:'1234567812345678' with: key.
encryptedString := enc asByteArray asString.
Transcript show: ' encrypted:  ', encryptedString; cr.
decrString:=Blowfish decryptString: encryptedString with: key.
Transcript show: ' decrypted:  ', decrString; cr.

I would love if you would be able to encrypt the whole string...I mean, you
encrypt as much multiples of 8 as you can, and only let the rest (always
will be smaller than 8 chars) unencrypted...

is that doable without much work?

Thanks