[Glass] tools/objectLog web tool and stack traces?

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 12:56:16 PST 2013

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> Hi guys,
>
> I was quite amazed with GemTools and how I could debug my local gemstone.
> But when I tried to connect to a remote instance, I understood what you
> said it was slow ;)
> So for the "porting" of my app, I have no problem because I can do
> everything with my local gemstone and then with topaz and metacello I load
> stuff in my remote gemstone.
>
> But there is one thing I miss about GemTools and a remote instance: debug
> problems. I know I could copy the extents to my machine and debug it here,
> but moving the extents over the wire can take me several hours.
>
> So....I wonder, which are all possibilities we have to debug a problem in
> remote GemStone? Say a typical seaside walkback.
>
> 1) I guess logs. I am still a bit lost in which log the stack traces of an
> error is stored. I checked in /opt/gemstone and I don't seem to find them.
> I am talking about something like the PharoDebug.log
>
> 2) ObjectLog. I saw there is a web tool WAObjectLog but I can see only the
> log..I cannot seem to see the stack traces
>
> Since I am still porting the app, it is likely most of my problems will be
> DNUs or something like that. So it is likely that a simple stack trace
> would help.
> But...say that at some point I would really like to really debug it, which
> options do I have besides copying the extens to my local gemstone?
> Dale, is it tODE ready for this? (debug from the Object Log)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

tODE can't debug and restart errors that happened in other gems that are on
the object log.  See this issue:

https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/issues/39

You can inspect the stack though.

I sometimes use GemTools on the remote server and use ssh -X forwarding to
get the GUI.  Its faster than local GemTools + remote GemStone because only
the X11 stuff is sent over the wire.  See here:

http://onsmalltalk.com/2010-10-23-faster-remote-gemstone

Its tolerable for sure.