[Glass] Fwd: GLASS performance & cleanup scripts

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Nov 29 07:05:55 PST 2013

Hi Leo,

Welcome to GemStone. You have asked a number of good questions and we might
end up breaking them down a bit.

First, as to configuring the Shared Page Cache (SCP), the rule is simple:
get the most that you can afford (up to slightly more than the repository
size). With the free license the maximum size is 2 GB, but that should be
pretty good for your database.

The free license does not have a limit on the database size, so you can
keep growing.

The #'fullBackupCompressedTo' method does an object-by-object backup that
is not identical to the extent0.dbf file in layout (it has all the objects,
but is typically more compact since the extents can have free space). The
alternative is to suspend checkpoints, copy the extent(s), and resume
checkpoints. That will give you an extent backup that can be used directly
as a repository. Unless you have reason to prefer the extent-file-copy
approach, I suggest you stick with the existing backup (and practice a
restore occasionally).

Often one will choose to start a new transaction log just before taking a
backup. Then you don't have to wonder which transaction logs are needed to
go with a particular backup. I have seen scripts that delete transaction
logs that are older than the oldest backup that you would use for disaster
recovery (and you typically keep at least two backups).

Strategies for making reports faster typically involve indexes and/or
clustering. You can read about them in the programming guide.

Keep asking questions and let us help you get the system running smoothly.
Of course, at some point I might suggest you pay for consulting and/or a
license to have a larger Shared Page Cache. ;-)

James