[Glass] ODBC to GemStone and ODBC from GemStone

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 07:08:19 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM, James Foster <
James.Foster at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Hi Mariano,
>
> The question of an ODBC interface for GemStone/S comes up periodically and
> is a particular interest of mine. It turns out that the hard part is not
> the Windows ODBC stuff (I've got a proof-of-concept that works with Excel,
> Access, etc. and sends queries to GemStone/S through the GCI library). The
> difficult part is translating SQL to Smalltalk and mapping heterogeneous
> collections of objects into something that looks like a fixed-schema table
> with homogenous rows of similar and simple columns (i.e., not complex
> objects). My proof-of-concept used a very simple schema and only supported
> enough SQL for the limited demo.

Indeed, I understand. Probably it doesn't help much but could could see how
Glorp does such mapping. It is not the same case because Glorp has
descriptions of the classes regarding the database structure so it is
easier to figure out the SQL. But anyway...maybe you get out an idea from
there....
mmmm now that I think, I think Glorp mapping is the other way around: from
a smalltalk query, get out the SQL. Here is to get the smalltalk expression
out of the SQL. At least there was a petit parser for SQL ;)

> The primary question is whether there would be commercial demand for an
> ODBC solution that would cover the cost of development (rough estimate of
> many person-months to get basic functionality, a few person-years to get
> something really polished).

Indeed. BTW, does GemStone offer a kind of out of the box solution to
provide web-services?

> The approach I've typically taken and seen is to export a CSV file
> (comma-separated-values) from GemStone/S and let Excel handle things from
> there.

yes, this is exactly what I was thinking for my particular case: let
gemstone perform all the queries/reports/logic and let a simple csv with
the result. Then JasperReport/Excel or whatever reads it and does what he
wants.

Thanks James for you answer.