[Glass] Glorp, Fuel, Native postgres driver, Voyage/Mongo, any in GemStone?

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Wed Oct 2 21:09:04 PDT 2013

On 02/10/13 2:49 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I wondered if any has ever tried porting any of these tools to GemStone:
> Fuel, Glorp, Native PostgreSQL driver, Voyage and MongoDB.

The early releases of the Native PostgreSQL driver were made to work in
VisualAge and VisualWorks, but I never got around to GemStone. I even
tried to stick to ANSI Smalltalk, for what that was worth.

The hard part of the port was finding a way to get the code to load,
because VA used Envy and VW use Store/Parcels. I think I used Rosetta to
get it into VA, and VW's Squeak fileIn compatibility code.

The next hurdle was connecting to the native socket layer. The driver
just needs to read/write a buffer over a socket. I would not expect
GemStone sockets to be a problem.