[Glass] GS for OSX

James Foster James.Foster at GemTalkSystems.com
Fri Sep 27 07:06:29 PDT 2013

Charles,

Good question, and the answer is no, we do not expect people to deploy on a Mac. The goal is to make development easier, especially for those who are using Smalltalk but have not tried GemStone. Take a look a what machines Smalltalk developers are using (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201373129904046) and you get an idea of what I have in mind.

Jupiter,

You have several options: (1) you can enter a port number in the field that currently has a name, (2) you can add the name & port to your local /etc/services, and (3) if you start your client from a shell that has the proper environment (e.g., using the 'Terminal' button), then the name should map properly to the port.

As to a client UI, at first I was thinking of duplicating Jade for Windows (http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/jade/), but now I'm leaning toward a web-based suite of tools (https://github.com/jgfoster/webtools).

James