[Glass] Problems managing files from Pharo and GemStone

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:27:21 PDT 2014

Hi guys. I don't understand why I have just faced this problem now and not
before...but... I am writing a text file (sixx serialization) in GemStone
this way:

FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'test' do: [:str | str nextPutAll:
'whateverRootObject' sixxString ].

And then in Pharo I read like:

SixxShapeChangeReadStream on: (FileStream oldFileNamed: 'test')

For some files, the above works OK. But for other files, while reading in
Pharo I get a: "UTF8Error: Invalid UTF8 input detected"

The problem is that FileStream oldFileNamed: in Pharo answers a
MultiByteFileStream, which uses a UTF8TextConverter. Hence, in
UTF8TextConverter >> nextFromStream:  I get an error because 'unicode'
instVar is nil.

Of course, if in Pharo I use directly a StandardFileStream oldFileNamed:
(to avoid using MultiByteFileStream) I can indeed read those files.

So...how should I make this to work in GemStone and Pharo? I know Johan
ported the text converters and MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream. But I don't
know how to get a similar MultiByteFileStream for GemStone.

Thanks in advance,