[Glass] About GsDeployer new doBulkMigrate

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:05:33 PDT 2014

Hi gemstoners,

I have just finished reading "Chapter 10 - Class Creation, Versions, and
Instance Migration" but when I was about to start writing some scripts I
found GsDeployer. I found this very interesting expression: "GsDeployer new
doBulkMigrate".

I am not 100% sure of what it does, so please confirm if I understand
correctly:

1) it searches each class of symbol list of current user that has more than
1 in the class history
2) it migrates each version of each found class to the last one from the
history. And this migration is the basic ones... I mean, new instVars in
new class will be with nil, and old instVars not existing in new class will
be dropped, etc.
3) committs etc..

So...is that correct? If true, then it means that if I don't have any
specific migration matter (like instVar renaming, or initialize some new
instvar with some state that depends on old value, etc etc etc), that would
migrate everything automatically, right?

But...if that's correct...I need to be *very very very* careful in
executing such a migration since after the migration I will have lost all
previous class versions and more importantly, I will have lost instVars
from old classes in the case new class does not define them. Correct?

Thanks in advance,