[Glass] Backups, GC and removing translogs

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 13:33:23 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I want to know what do you think about the following scenario. I want to
start making some cleaning for my gemstones. After reading several emails
etc I came to the following steps that I would like to run DAILY:

1) Stop all seaside gems (including maintainance etc)

2) Perform MFC and reclaim:

[
System beginTransaction.
SystemRepository markForCollection.
SystemRepository reclaimAll.
System commitTransaction.

] on: Halt,  Warning do: [:ex | ex resume]

This step is not mandatory for me since I do run GLASS maintainance VM
which does a MFC every hour...but...it might be a good idea anyway.

3) Perform backup :

SystemRepository startNewLog.
SystemRepository fullBackupCompressedTo:
'/opt/somewhere/backup-dateXXX.dbf.gz'.

4) Clean:

Now...from what I understand, this script:
https://github.com/noha/stone-creator/blob/master/bin/delete-old-tranlogs.sh
 does:

LAST_NEEDED_TRANLOG=`$COPYDBF_EXE -i $FILE 2>&1 | grep tranlog | cut -d ' '
-f 13`

I have just checked copydbf and indeed, seems to be answer the same as
#oldestLogFileIdForRecovery. So it seems safe to use this tool, correct?
However...from what I understand..the critical part there is the $FILE
which should be the last backup (in my example the latest in
/opt/somewhere/). Is this correct?

Finally, a bash script that removes/moves backup-dateXXX.dbf.gz older than
N number of days

Does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance,