[Glass] What the heck is going on?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Aug 26 10:19:50 PDT 2014

Dear Dale

On 26.08.2014, at 14:14, Dale Henrichs <dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> These two projects differ from other projects because they are pre-loaded in your system and the configurations for Metacello and GLASS must be loadable in the very oldest of supported versions of GemStone and the most recent (2.4.x to 3.2.2). So ConfigurationOfMetacello and ConfigurationOfGLASS cannot use the constructs required for loading projects directly from github. Consequently I have had to create separate configurations.
>
> These two projects are bridge projects spanning the old and new ways of doing things so it will be a while before I can completely eliminate the old projects completely.
>
> As I have stated elsewhere, tODE has built-in git/github support and tools support for git/github is absolutely required.
>
> The final piece in the puzzle is GsDevKit ... GsDevKit provides the framework for managing GemStone instances as well as the primary location for documentation and references to projects that have been ported to GemStone ...
>
> In order to survive this transition period we are going to have to work together ... if we continue the patterns of the past where folks send me email telling me about problems instead of contributing solutions to problems then the process will be a prolonged one, because I only have so many things that I do in a day and I truly am trying to do my best and I know that at times that has not been enough ...
>
> To me collaboration means that you have start taking ownership and responsibility for these projects ... I have made decisions because decisions had to be made ... I have built tools because tools had to be made ... I hope that GsDevKit provides a starting point for an evolutionary process and I do not want to be the arbiter of evolution ... I have visions and Ideas but these are general visions and ideas that without active and productive contributions from the community will not survive ... In my experience someone has to go around putting flags in the ground in order to stimulate action, but please don't consider these flags in the ground as being set in concrete.
>
> If you do not have the time to contribute then have patience ... but please try to make the time to contribute.
>
> I don't expect anyone to read my mind so if you want to contribute drop me an email and tell me what area you might be interested in. If you have questions let's share those in public so I don't have to answer the same questions over and over.
>
> Can you write documentation? Do you want to fix bugs? Do you want to help improve the Squeak/Pharo compat library? Do you want to learn and improve about tODE? Do you want to learn about Metacello? Do you want to port the latest XML support to GemStone?
>
> There are hundreds of things that need to be done from little to large. Every piece is important ...

First and foremost, I have to say that your effort enabled me and subsequently over a hundred students
to successfully work in class and develop projects. This alone is a reason to say Thank You a lot.
 Your effort made it possible for us to have all of our class project automatically travis-tested
and well defined in terms of dependencies.
 Furthermore, for me and a lot of people around me, you have become the Face of GLASS and sometimes
the face of GemStone even.

Where I can help, I will[1].

> I guess I've rambled long enough...

Not at all; you typically speak truth, why less of it.

Best
	-Tobias

[1] I guess, a SqueakSource->GitHub bridge/helper is due long enough :D