[Glass] High Availability in GemStone

BrunoBB smalltalk at adinet.com.uy
Thu Feb 20 05:23:20 PST 2014

Hi All,

Typically in a traditional architecture you have: aReverseProxy --
WebApplication (java) -- Database Server.

High Availability (at DataBase) means that there is an Active-Active (or
Active-Passive) configuration, if the DataBase server goes down then the
other DataBase will respond to WebApplication request, and the application
still goes on (without human intervention).

It is possible to do something like this with GLASS (free license) ?

To automtically recover from a Stone that went down. I have read Admin
Manual at page 291 "Activate the hot standby in case of failure in the
primary".

Can we put this process of recover in a Script that it will be executed
after a detecting that the primary Stone is down ?

The original idea here was to develop a Java app (not by me), but i have my
GS application already running ok. But "High Availability" without human
intervention is a requirement.

Regards,
Bruno