[Glass] High Availability in GemStone

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Feb 20 07:24:52 PST 2014

Hi Bruno,

I’d be interested in how other databases handle this problem. I imagine that they do but it seems that the control would need to extend beyond the database machine(s). The challenge is that you want to avoid a single point of failure (so have redundancy), but then need to ensure that if the primary goes down it is really down.

In the 1980s I worked for a healthcare database company that supported automatic fail-over. We had a situation where the network failed in such a way that the secondary machine lost connectivity with the primary machine and thought that the primary machine was down so it “took over.” The network failure was such that half of the clients stayed with the primary (which was still visible to part of the network) and half of the clients went with the secondary (since they could no longer see the primary). When we discovered the problem we had to bring down both systems and merge the transaction log (examining each one to detect conflicts). At that point we decided that manual intervention to validate the primary failure was better than automatic failure detection. So far, it seems that GemStone has followed a similar path.

James