[Glass] [Pharo-dev] printString and asString

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Sun Jan 5 23:54:26 PST 2014

Thank you everyone for your comments.

I agree with Martin's comments and Stef's most recent one. Some of the
messages may not have reached the other lists as this was actually
posted to glass and pharo.

Is this the right conclusion of what we're going to do now?

- On Pharo and GemStone, we will remove the asString behaviour from
Object. Perhaps this is just an item on the list to deprecate and
gradually remove. Practically, a lot of people would not be using
asString in the best way, right?
- Subclasses that implement asString inappropriately (i.e. non
CharacterCollection like things)
- printString and asString will then become independent, mostly
(especially on Object)
- printString would generally be used to display a 'debugging' view of
an object, to be used for example in the inspector.

This brings back a question regarding displayString, or something
similar. It seems as if many people need something like this.

I need for example a string representation of objects generally to
display in anchors in our seaside application. We have a class
DomainObject from which most of our classes inherit, so this is
probably the place to add a 'displayString' for something like this.

Thanks
Otto