[Glass] Help defining gemstone users for a multi-user app

Richard Sargent richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jan 6 09:46:30 PST 2014

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
>> Indeed. There is something I didn't mention because I was going to ask
>> that in a later thread. But.... a second requirement is that I will have
>> few instances of the same app. So, same code, running with different
>> users.
>> I need this to get a really isolated environment.  So for each of my app
>> installation, I need its own 'MyAppAdmin' like and its own 'MyAppWebUser'
>> like. I *could* use same user for both things as you suggest.  For the
>> moment, as a first step, I don't care if I need to load all glass/seaside
>> for each user (or pair of users). This is the easiest. I know I could
>> share
>> all glass/Seaside code for all users (or all pais of users), but I need
>> be very very careful about all class vars usage. So that's why as a first
>> step, I can have duplicated all glass/seaide code.

Hi Mariano,

If you haven't already read chapter 6 of the Sys Admin guide, you should
definitely start there. In particular, pay attention to the "Published" and
"Publisher" information. That may be a good example/template for what you
are trying to do.

One idea that might work, is to define a Symbol Dictionary for each version
of your application. For example, MyAppV11Globals versus MyAppV12Globals
versus MyAppV21Globals, etc.

For each application user, insert the appropriate version Symbol Dictionary
into his (or her) Symbol List. You probably want some scripts to help
facilitate this, since you may have more than one user. Unfortunate, I don't
see anything that facilitates managing the Symbol List from a group
perspective.

Does that help?

Thanks,
Richard