[Glass] Help defining gemstone users for a multi-user app

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:18:45 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> If you are going to share code between users, then I would suggest that
> you start by installing the GLASS/seaside code into a SymbolList that is
> not UserGlobals and perhaps even use a Gemstone user that is not
> DataCurator.
>
> The attached script creates a 'glass' user with the same permissions as
> DataCurator and loads the GLASS code  (starting with a
> $GEMSTONE/bin/extent0.dbf) into a GLASS SymbolDictionary.
>
> Once you've done this, you can arrange to install the glass users's #GLASS
> SymbolDictionary into another users SymbolList and thus share the code ...
> The `web` user will have to have write permission on all of the slots of
> the Seaside code, so it might make sense to load the seaside code into the
> `web` users space directory ...

Hi Dale. This sentence "so it might make sense to load the seaside code
into the `web` users space directory" confuses me.
So..say I have just created the user 'glass' with the provided script. I
have loaded all GLASS and all my code in a SystemDictionary called 'GLASS'.
Cool, so far so good. So now I need to add this SystemDictionary into the
'web' user. That seems fine as well. I guess a simple #at:put:.  I do
understand I need to give write access to 'GLASS' to the web user. But I
don't get why it would make sense to load seaside code into 'web' uses
space. You mean to load all 'GLASS' and all my code directly into the web
user instead than in 'glass' symbolList?  Of course, to do this I need to
do it with the admin user ('glass' in this example) because otherwise my
web user doesn't have permission to load code. if that is what you mean,
then:

1) how can I load code into UserGlobals of user 'web' while I am connected
to topaz with 'glass' user ?
2) If I load glass and my code into the web user UserGlobal. Would the
DataCurator have access to it? I guess yes because that user is the one
that load it at the first time ;)

Thanks in advance!!