[Glass] Cannot load Metacello nor Glass in Glass itself (spot bug)

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 11:51:25 PST 2014

Hi guys,

I have managed to install Glass into a base extent using the installGlass
script provided by Dale. I am running this with a special user, not
DataCurator, but with similar privileges. I can install Glass, but then as
soon as I try to download something with Metacello...I get a spec
resolution error....
It is important to note that all gems/netldi/stone are also running with
its own system user.

I am trying to download this for example:

  Metacello new
baseline:  'Metacello';
repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
get.

First, I found a bug in #extractRepositoryFrom: zipFile to: directory
I was getting a simple GoferRepositoryError with no clear message. AFter
debugging a bit, I found that such a method was end up doing something like:

/usr/bin/unzip -u /tmp/github.zip -d
/home/Testing/github-cache/dalehenrich/metacello-work/master 2> /tmp/zip.err

Problem was that I ALREADY had a /tmp/zip.err but that was written with
another SO user... and defined unix file permission, didn't allow to write
it with a different user..hence I was getting a permission denied which
ended in sending #contentsOfEntireFile to nil...
So would it be possible to write zip.err with a more specific name? like
per stone or something...or give write access to other ...

Anyway....I remove the file with sudo and then it continue...but still
getting a spec resolution error...but what is funny here is that I don't
get ANY error nor repository error.. the line " self
resolvePackageSpecReferences: packageSpec gofer: gofer  " simply returns an
empty array....

Any idea what could be?  any bell? remember, custom system operating user
(not sudoer), custom gemstone user, custom glass install, ... so yeah, kind
of sounds like I should get problems hahahah

Thanks,