[Glass] Cannot load Metacello nor Glass in Glass itself (spot bug)

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 13:43:45 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> The github downloads aren't very good at providing good error messages ...
> I have recently (in last month) improved some of the error handling for
> github, but those improvements are only in the github repo and if you can't
> download from github then you probably aren't using them...

Indeed. But something is weird: I could successfully bootstrap GLASS, using
the installGLASS you provided me...doesn't this script use any github
repo????

> But your use case of running multiple glass users (at the linux level) is
> probably not accounted for  in the github implementation so additional work
> needs to be done there to accomodate multiple users on the same machine
> using Metacello ...

ouch.....

> I've submitted a metacello bug[1] to track the issue ...
>
> Until I can fix the bug, you the code  there are a number of methods that
> make the assumption that /tmp can be used as a temporary dumping ground for
> files:
>
>   MCGitHubRepository class>>projectDirectoryFrom:version:
>   MetacelloGemStonePlatform>>downloadFile:to:
>   MetacelloGemStonePlatform>>extractRepositoryFrom:to:
>
> Presumably these methods could be hacked to replace the use of '/tmp' with
> a suitable image-specific replacement ... where you can set the root temp
> directory to something that works for you ... this is probably the route I
> will take for the final solution ...

Thanks. I indeed found other files in /tmp which were owned by a different
system user... I have removed them like "sudo rm github*" and "sudo rm
curl*".

Still...same problem. I then tried stopping and starting stone again.
Still, same problem. Finally I drop the extent and I bootstrapped
everything from scratch again...why? because I thought some class var or
something could have been persisted with wrong stuff or garbage. So I
started again with that just bootstrapped glass and an empty /tmp and that
worked!!!

So I should wait for your fix to have multiple system users sharing the
same /tmp, right?

Let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks,